Holiday shopping means crowded parking lots and runaway carts that can damage your vehicle. Raymond Nelson has some facts for you to know.
Who is at fault?
- The store where you shop is not liable for damage by errant carts.
- Stores usually have signs posted in the parking lot just for this reason.
Are you covered?
- It depends on the coverage you purchased!
- If you have Full Coverage Insurance, you should be covered.
- Hitting a shopping cart is considered a collision with an object, whether you hit the cart or the cart hit your vehicle.
- It would be a good idea to file a report to help when filing a claim.
- Not all insurance policies cover this damage, so make sure you have the right policy to include physical damage.
- Cart damage won’t be covered if you only have liability insurance coverage.
What to do if you notice damage to your vehicle.
- Report it to your insurance company right away.
- It would help to first take a picture of the damage while the vehicle is still in the parking lot.
- If possible, include the store in the background of the photo.
- Insurance companies can tell if the damage was caused by a shopping cart.
- If your window was broken, or there was extreme damage to the vehicle, then this was probably more than just a shopping cart.
- When you file a claim, you must go to a repair shop and get an estimate.
Cost of repairs
- If you get a repair estimate that is more than your insurance deductible, then it might be a good idea to handle the repairs on your own.
Check with your insurance agent to determine if you are covered for shopping cart damage. Independent insurance agents will sit down and talk with you about your needs, then will craft an auto insurance plan that meets your needs at the best price and provide local, personalized service.
Speak with your Raymond Nelson Insurance agent to ensure you have the proper coverage for all your insurance needs.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Call us today at (270) 885-1800 or contact us online for more information.