Raymond Nelson has some tips for driving in the winter and how you can be prepared if you do have to travel during wintry conditions
Driving in snowy and icy conditions can be challenging even for experienced drivers. Here are some tips to help you get to your destination safely.
- Bring your car in to get serviced so you know of any problems before colder weather arrives and ask them to check the following
- Heater and defroster
- Tires for worn tread
- Windshield wipers
- Stock up on antifreeze and windshield washer fluid.
- Equip your vehicle with the following items
- Ice scraper and snow brush.
- A shovel – This will come in handy if you become stuck and need to clear a path to drive.
- Warm clothing – Hats, a coat, gloves, and boots will help keep you warm while clearing off your car or if the heat goes out.
- Flashlight – With less daylight during the winter months, it’s harder to see or be seen by other vehicles. Keep a flashlight, emergency flares, or reflectors in your vehicle to help with visibility.
- Kitty litter or sand. Putting down either of these will help your tires gain traction if you get stuck.
Before you Drive
- Check the weather forecast and traffic reports for your route. Allow extra time when conditions are predicted to change or worsen.
- Keep your tank full.
- Keep your phone fully charged.
- Make sure your windows are fully cleared before driving.
- Buckle up!
- Slow down and do not use cruise control when driving through sleet, snow, or ice.
- Leave extra distance between you and the car in front of you.
- Always drive with your lights on.
- If you start to slide, do not panic! Steer to keep the vehicle going in its original direction without over-steering.
- Don’t slam on your breaks, instead, pump your brakes if your vehicle does not have anti-lock brakes.
- If you get stranded, remain calm and stay in your vehicle (if it’s safe) until help arrives.
Raymond Nelson Insurance wants you to stay safe this winter and if possible, avoid driving when conditions are dangerous.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find you the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built, and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Give us a call today at (270)885-1800 or contact us online for more information.