Raymond Nelson Insurance wants you to know about the new entry-level driver training (ELDT) requirements which will be implemented on February 7, 2022
This new rule is for individuals who want to
- Obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL)
- Upgrade a CDL
- Obtain a passenger (P), school bus (S), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) entry-level driver training regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers.
The ELDT regulations are not retroactive; individuals who were issued a CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement prior to February 7, 2022, are not required to complete training for the respective CDL or endorsement. For more information about the ELDT regulations and Training Provider registry, visit https://tpr.fmcsa.dot.gov/.
- As of February 7, 2022, entry-level CDL trainees will have much stricter requirements for obtaining their CDL.
- For companies who want their entry-level truckers trained, now is the time to start preparing for the new law and getting drivers in a training program.
- Only approved training providers are authorized to deliver ELDT.
New requirements to obtain a CDL license
- CDL school requirements
- The minimum standards and requirements for CDL schools will be set at a federal level as opposed to the state.
- Department of Transportation (DOT) management
- CDL schools must record and report hours behind the wheel (no federal minimum) to DOT
- Schools must register and self-certify instructors.
- CDL driving instructor requirements
- Driving instructors are required to have a minimum of 2 years of driving experience, a clean driving record, and medical certification for the classroom, on the road, and private range instruction.
- Increase in curriculum mandates
- DOT requires 31 theory course topics instead of the original four knowledge topics.
- The new Training Provider Registry (TPR) will require CDL schools to apply to join, starting February 7, 2022.
Trucking is truly one of the most important industries in the United States. At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we understand the peril you and your employees face every day, and we want to help you get the best protection for the best price.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find you the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built, and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Give us a call today at (270)885-1800 or contact us online for more information.