No one ever expects a home burglary but if you find yourself in this unlucky situation, Raymond Nelson Insurance has some tips
Personal Belongings Coverage
- You need to have enough coverage to replace personal belongings whether you’re a homeowner or a renter.
- Depending on where you live, you can find inexpensive coverage for claims to cover $10,000 to $20,000 worth of personal belongings.
Make a valuable items list
- Write down a list of all your collectibles, jewelry, gadgets, etc.
- TVs and electronics will have serial numbers, notate those.
- Send an email of this list to yourself with the subject line of something inconspicuous, like “Vacation Pictures.”
- If your home is burglarized, you’ll be able to refer to this list if your things are damaged or stolen.
- You will also need this list to file your insurance claim after a loss.
Keep or take photos of receipts & instruction manuals
- Keep your receipts or take a photo of them. They show identifiable serial numbers, proof of purchase, and the item’s original value.
- Instruction manuals can act as proof of purchase as they contain identifiable serial numbers for each of your items.
- Take photos of all your expensive items like electronics and furniture and email them to yourself or save them to your iCloud.
- If you only save them on your computer, you risk losing them should your computer get stolen.
- For information on what is a valid proof of purchase, click here.
Other ways to find proof of purchase
- Check your email. Confirmation emails or emailed receipts can be used as proof of purchase.
- Transactions made in PayPal can show purchase information.
- Find photographs of missing items; a picture of your family sitting on the couch that was stolen or your TV in the background of a photo.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find you the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built, and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Give us a call today at (270)885-1800 or contact us online for more information.