Local US fire departments respond to over 1.3 million fires every year and cause over $16 Billion in damages. Everyone should be aware of several common house fire hazards and take precautions to prevent them.
- Overloaded electrical outlets or power strips.
- Frayed or damaged electrical cords and wires.
- Faulty wiring or outdated electrical systems.
- Unattended cooking appliances.
- Grease buildup on cooking surfaces or in the oven.
- Flammable items left too close to heating sources.
- Portable heaters placed too close to flammable materials.
- Malfunctioning or poorly maintained furnaces, boilers, or space heaters.
- Blocked or dirty chimneys and vents.
- Leaving candles unattended.
- Placing candles near flammable materials.
- People may fall asleep using candles in bedrooms or other areas.
Faulty smoke alarms:
- Failing to install or maintain smoke detectors.
- Not testing smoke alarms regularly.
- Check HERE for how often to check your smoke alarms.
Lint in dryer vents:
- Failure to clean dryer vents regularly can lead to lint buildup and potential house fires.
- Click HERE for data on home fires caused by clothes dryers and washing machines.
Keep Children and Pets Safe:
- Children playing with matches or lighters.
- Pets knocking over candles or other heat sources.
Practice fire safety measures, such as smoke detectors, having fire extinguishers on hand, practicing a fire escape plan, and being vigilant about potential fire hazards.
Check with your insurance company to ensure you have enough fire coverage for your home. Hopefully you will never experience a house fire, but Raymond Nelson Insurance wants you to be prepared for any potential hazards.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Call us today at (270) 885-1800 or contact us online for more information.