We want to remind you to be extra cautious when driving near schools. Here are a few school safety tips to ensure the safety of our kids:
1. Slow down and remain alert
- There’s going to be a lot more kids on the sidewalks and streets when school starts, so take it slow and always be aware of your surroundings.
- Leave yourself extra time to make it to your destination.
- Be especially careful in school parking lots and loading zones.
2. Obey posted speed limits
3. Remember to follow school-bus rules
- Do not pass the bus on either side of the road when red lights are flashing.
- Even after lights stop, make sure the coast is clear before moving on.
- Kids move quickly and erratically.
- 2 or 3 Lane Road: Remember, when you encounter a school bus with its stop arm out and red lights flashing, it is crucial to come to a complete stop, regardless of your lane or direction on a two to three-lane road, including the turning lane.
- 4+ Lane Road: If you find yourself on a highway or road with a median or more than four lanes, you are not required to stop for a bus traveling in the opposite direction.
4. Avoid using your cell phone while driving
- It’s not only illegal to drive while using your cell phone, it can distract you.
- When stopping at a crosswalk, give kids a visual signal you’ve seen them: smile, wave, or give a thumbs-up!
Parents – Teach kids to be safe while walking:
- Always use marked crosswalks and look both ways.
- Try to make contact with drivers to make sure they see you.
- Never move into the street from behind a car or other obstacle.
- If there is not sidewalk or path, walk facing traffic and as far to the left as possible.
- Never let young children cross the street alone.
Safety is our top priority, so let’s all stay informed and ensure the safety of our students and community during this school season.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Call us today at (270) 885-1800 or contact us online for more information.