It’s that time of year when packages are being delivered to your home when you’re not there, but the packages thieves are. RNI offers our tips on how to prevent package thefts.
Notice of package delivery
Most carriers will notify you when they have delivered packages to your home. If you get a notice and can’t find the package on your doorstep, here are a few things you can do.
- Check with your neighbors to see if they received your package to hold for you.
- If not, ask if they saw anyone taking the package.
- Contact the delivery company and inquire about the package location.
- Some companies take a picture of the package on your porch.
- Check the photo closely to make sure it’s your porch.
- A lot of packages are delivered to the wrong address, especially at this busy time of the year.
- Report the theft to the police. There may not be much they can do except fill out a police report, which could help get a refund or replacement.
- Check with your bank to see if your credit card has purchase protection.
Prevention – Here are some ways to protect yourself from package theft:
- Have your packages delivered to your office.
- Opt to require a signature for the package.
- Instruct the deliverer to leave the package at the back door instead front door.
- Pick up your packages from a drop-off location.
- Have packages delivered to your local store.
- Invest in doorbell cameras.
- Install security cameras.
- These are great deterrents for some thieves. (but not all)
Of course, you could just stay home and wait for packages to arrive, but when that isn’t possible, use the tips above. Speak with your Raymond Nelson Insurance agent to ensure you have the proper coverage for all your insurance needs.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Call us today at (270) 885-1800 or contact us online for more information.