According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, average daily auto thefts increase during summer. Raymond Nelson Insurance has some tips for keeping your car from getting stolen
Lock your car
- Remove keys from the ignition
- Lock the doors
- Close all the windows
- Always park your car in a well-lit area.
- Don’t leave your keys in the car, even if hidden.
Install a warning device
- Audible alarms will deter a thief.
- Use a steering wheel lock such as “The Club.”
- When the thief sees “the club,” they will think it will take too long to figure out how to steal it and move on.
Install a tracking device
- If a thief steals your car, a tracking device will help get it back.
- A LoJack stolen vehicle recovery system can be activated that will send out a signal from the stolen vehicle.
- Law enforcement can then locate the stolen vehicle.
Install a vehicle immobilizer system
- Thieves can bypass your ignition system by “hotwiring” your vehicle, but you can prevent this by using a vehicle immobilizer system.
- The immobilizer systems may incorporate smart key, kill switches, and wireless ignition authentication, which essentially can disable the vehicle so that a thief can’t make off with it.
What to do if your car is stolen
- Contact police immediately.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you will need to provide the following information:
- The year, make, model, and color of your vehicle.
- License plate number
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- You also need to let your insurance company know within 24 hours.
Speak with your Raymond Nelson Insurance agent to ensure you have the proper coverage for all your insurance needs.
At Raymond Nelson Insurance, we go the extra mile to find the coverage that best protects what matters most, the business you’ve built and the people you love. We always take the time to get to know each client and serve their best interests. Give us a call today at (270) 885-1800 or contact us online for more information.